Faribault Main Street announced today that the 2022 Winterfest Grand Marshal will be Laura Bock. Laura Bock has volunteered with countless organizations over the years, such as Main Street events including the Fall Festival Chili Cook-Off, Downtown Car Cruise-Ins, Mystery Entertainment Crawl, Flannel Formal, and Winterfest. Additionally, she has lent her time and talent to the Blue Collar Festival and as a Chamber Ambassador. Laura is also a member of Faribault Rotary, where she volunteers at blood drives, Adopt a Highway clean up, Rice County Fair parking, Salvation Army bell ringing, food packing at the Community Action Center, and International Festival. She has also donated time to Cannon River Watershed Partnership river clean up, and has brought meals to Habitat for Humanity crews. Bock has additionally stepped into leadership roles and helped organize the Warm Our Community winter gear drive, and recently served as the co-chair of the Faribault ‘Vote Yes’ committee.
As Grand Marshal, Bock will lead several dozen lit up floats down Central Avenue in Faribault. The parade has quickly become a community favorite since it’s inception.
“We are honored to have Laura as this year’s Grand Marshal. She exemplifies the best of Faribault, with a heart for service, Laura has been a phenomenal community advocate for many years and leads by example! She is always eager to get involved and Faribault is better for having her,” said Kelly Nygaard, Faribault Tourism Director and Main Street Coordinator.
The annual Winterfest Celebration takes place in downtown Faribault. Now in it’s fifth year (2020 festivities were cancelled due to Covid) the event kicks off on Thursday, December 1 with horse drawn carriage rides, an ice carving, downtown window decorating contest, and Hometown Holidays fun at the Buckham center including Santa, games and music. Friday, Dec 2nd, head to Central Park for beautifully decorated trees, a snow sculpture being created by Shattuck St Mary’s students that pays respect to Bishop Whipple, and music by Faribault Middle School Students. Saturday, December 3rd’s slate of events include a craft bizarre at 10,000 Drops Craft Distillers, along with a craft fair at the American Legion, 15th Annual Alexander Faribault House Christmas Open House, Sleds on Central Snow Mobile show hosted with the Faribault Sno- Go Club, fireworks, the parade of lights, and a street dance with music by Fender Bender, and a full bar.
The tradition of Winterfest started in 2017 when the Faribault Main Street group looked to grow their existing holiday efforts, and seeing a desire for a larger winter celebration in the 2040 vision, took action and planned the community festival, which quickly became a local favorite. Faribault Main Street partners with the City of Faribault, Buckham Center, Sno-Go Club, and many local business sponsors to bring this event to life. Past Grand Marshals of Faribault Winterfest have included: Bruce Burkhartzmeyer, Paul Peanasky, Gordy Kosfeld, and Kelley Watts.
Find more information at FaribaultMN.org
Faribault Winterfest 2022 Schedule of Events:
Thursday Dec 1:
• Ice Carving by Sakatah Signs Carving and Creations from 4-8pm on the corner of 4th St and Central (In front of Heartman Insurance)
• Horse Drawn Wagon Rides (pick up at Buckham Center)
• Window Decorating Contest 4-8pm.
• Hometown Holidays at the Buckham Center with Santa Claus, music, games and activities, and more.
Friday, Dec. 2nd:
• Snow Sculptures in Central Park by SSM students and staff
• Tree Lighting in Central Park with Park and Rec
• 6th, 7th, and 8th grade band choir and orchestra students from the Faribault Middle School perform at Central Park. They’ll have a mix of solos/duets/ and small groups.
Saturday, Dec 3:
• Sleds on Central Vintage Snowmobile Show 1-4pm on the 400 block of Central Ave. This event is free.
• Craft Spirits Holiday Market at 10,000 Drops Craft Distillery 12-5pm
• Craft Fair at American Legion 10-5
• Alexander Faribault House French Canadian Christmas Open House 11am-3pm
• Fireworks 5:45pm (launched near Viaduct
• Parade of Lights visible along Central Ave. between 1st Street and 6th St. 5:50pm
• Street Dance in a heated tent with bar, music by Fender Bender (400 block of Central Ave) until 10pm
*If you/your business would like to enter a float into the parade, call 507-334-4381, or email Kelly@faribaultmn.org